Summer Race Camps are now open for 5 day, 9 day and PNSA Speed Camp.
To register for the 5 day camp 6/27-7/1 for U10 and up email Lee (see below for more info).
For more information and to register for the 9 day camp 7/12-21 (U12-U21) go to http://www.davelyonracecamps.com/youthjr.html
PNSA also offers a number of camps including a speed camp at White Pass in May 10-13 (U14-U19). For more information see the PNSA camp page.
5 DAY CAMP
We are excited to announce that this years 5 day SPAC race camp is open for registration. Take advantage of 5 days of amazing on snow race coaching with video review, dryland training and fun adventures in the afternoons and evenings. Camp is open to U12 and up. 24 hour supervision and yummy home cooked meals. U10s are also welcome to join as day campers but must stay with parents in separate accommodations.
The camp will be run by SPAC’s own Dave Lyon. Dave is an internationally recognized race coach and instructor. In addition to being the Program Director of Stevens Pass Alpine Club, Dave is a member of PSIA’s elite National Demonstration Team. He works for the United States Ski and Snowboard Association as a clinician and certification examiner for alpine race coaches and most recently, he has been spending time working with US Ski Team athletes and coaches on a number of special projects.
The camp details:
- When- 6/27-7/1
- Where – Timberline, Mt Hood. Athletes will stay in a private house in Government Camp with Dave Lyon and other coaches.
- How Much – $1550 – includes lodging, lift tickets, food and transportation while at camp. The SPAC van will be available for transportation down and back from the greater Seattle area if enough families are interested. Additional fee will apply. Day Camp fee -$950 (approximately – Lee will confirm exact price)
- If you have additional questions please email Dave Lyon directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To sign up email Lee Podawiltz (SPAC Bookeeper) at email@example.com
A sample day at Government Camp and Mount Hood:
- Wake-up, breakfast: 5:30-6:00 am
- Daily morning shuttle to Timberline – o Leaves lodging@ 6:15 am – Arrives Timberline Wy’East Lodge 6:45 am
- Pick-up tickets: 6:45 to 7:00 am (from Camp representative)
- Chair loads/warm-up: 7:00 to 7:45 am
- Training 8:00 am to 12:00 noon.
- Daily afternoon shuttle to Government Campo Leaves Timberline 12:45-1:00 pm – Arrives at lodging 1:00-1:15 pm
- Lunch: upon arrival… approximately 1:30pm
- Dryland (fun physical group activity – such as hiking, soccer, capture the flag etc) 3:00- 5:00 pm
- Dinner (super yummy home cooked meal): 6:00 pm
- Video Review of athletes training runs from the day: 7:30 pm
- Lights out: 9:00 pm
A quick testimonial and plug for Day Camp from Board President Kurt Westman:
…a couple of our SPAC athletes, Cale and Campbell, went to their first Mt Hood Camp as Day Campers together in 2012? They were 10 and 8 years old respectively I think…anyway…the kids had a great time, cemented their love for racing, and since parents stayed in town, we made great friends we will have forever in the Butzlaff’s too.
Fast forward to this spring, and they’re both among the top competitors in their age class not just in PNSA, but in the entire West Region. Check the SPAC Facebook post about Campbell, too. In all of West Region, Campbell is ranked 7th in Slalom and Cale 8th in GS among their high rankings in all events. Not saying it is complete cause and effect with attending Summer Camp, but the right summer camps truly build life long skills, better competitors, and love for skiing. They train 4 days a week, and free ski as much as possible in their free time. It’s a great thing!