Stevens Pass Alpine Club staffs up to 7 races per season at Stevens Pass. Parent participation is essential so that SPAC continues to put on excellent races and draw high participation from PNSA clubs. While SPAC is a very strong partner with Stevens Pass Ski Area, it is a non-profit club and independent from the area. Tuition, fundraisers, race fees and donations fund SPAC. Therefore, a successful SPAC program requires a strong parent commitment and each SPAC family is expected to volunteer at the levels shown below or more for each athlete enrolled in any Mighty Mite or Junior SPAC program. If you prefer not to volunteer at the minimum levels below, the buyout amount will be added to the cost of each enrolled athlete’s tuition at the conclusion of the season. If you prefer to opt out at the beginning of the season, the buyout can be paid at time of registration.
Athletes participating in the Intro Program (this program does not include competing in races) are exempt from the volunteer commitment, although all SPAC families are encouraged to participate. Coaches with athletes on the team will receive credit toward their volunteer commitment by coaching at home races as well as volunteer positions. Becoming active in our club as a volunteer is one of the best ways you can learn more about the sport of ski racing and connect with other members of our club. SPAC families are also encouraged to volunteer at away races.
Volunteering at a SPAC Club Race, if scheduled, is a great opportunity to try new positions (no license requirements), shadow experienced volunteers and meet other parents. The Club Race does not contribute toward the minimum volunteer commitment.
If you cannot meet the minimum volunteer commitment, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator by January 1st to make other arrangements to support the team –exceptions to the Volunteer Policy require approval by the Board of Directors.
Minimum Volunteer Commitment per athlete (cap: 2 athletes per family):
|Program||Requirement||Buyout||Charge per day not worked|
|One Day Mighty-Mite||2 Days||$400||$200|
|Two Day Mighty-Mite||4 Days||$500||$125|
Helpful tips for volunteering:
- Learn about different Volunteer Positions
- Sign up early to secure the position and dates you prefer.
- Remember that volunteer race days do not always coincide with your racer’s schedule. Please check the training calendar and plan accordingly. You may or may not have lunch at the same time as your racer.
- Consider volunteering at Junior or Master races if you have a Mighty-Mite racer – your racer will be at their regular training and it can be easier to coordinate with friends’ families to be sure they get their lunch.
- Ask questions – we will help.
- Sign in early on volunteer days so you can catch your breath before heading out to your position.
- Remember your ski gear and be prepared for the ever changing Pacific NW weather.
- Races can and do get cancelled or changed from time to time due to signups, weather, conflicting race schedules, etc. Be prepared to adjust, requirements still have to be fulfilled if race dates change.
- Register for your volunteer commitment days by 01/31/2015 or you will be charged the full buyout amount.