SPAC is pleased to coordinate an athlete-focused ski racing camp in both June and August 2021. Off season skill building on Palmer Glacier is one of the coolest opportunities for our athletes. In fact, Mt. Hood, Oregon is known nationwide as the best summer training and skiing in the United States.
SummerSPAC normally runs as an overnight camp, but with the pandemic lingering it was determined day camps are a more prudent option for our club this summer. We executed a successful camp using this model last year and are confident the 2021 day camps will be equally enjoyable.
New this year is an added 3-day camp to better spread-out training opportunities and summer days on snow. Fit in one or ski both. SummerSPAC camps are open to all club athletes u12 (birth yr 2012) and older. If you are an experienced athlete with prior ski camps under your belt—join us. If you’ve never skied in the summer sunshine on Palmer Glacier—join us.
2021 SummerSPAC Day Camp Details:
Dates: June 25-27 and/or August 8-12
- Registration– Beginning March 31, 2021 at 9:00AM.
- A fully refundable 50% deposit holds your spot. Select from the drop down menu under “Add-ons” and edit to register your athlete on ShredReg using the 3-day or 5-day camp deposit amount. Space is limited and first come, first served. A waitlist will be available if the maximum number of campers is reached. Cancellations will be accepted until 45 days prior to start of camp.
- Pricing– Our 3-day SummerSPAC training block is priced at $650. The 5-day is $1000. SPAC’s intent is to provide club families a cost neutral summer training opportunity whereby we only charge what it costs us to cover the expenses of operating at Mt. Hood. Your camp tuition helps fund the stipend for quality coaching, venue training lane & salt use, daily lift tickets for your athletes etc.
- Skiing- The race camp typically consists of a slalom training block and a GS training block with individualized coaching in small groups for your athlete to work toward their personal goals. Athletes are placed in appropriate training groups on the mountain with a goal of 6:1 coach to camper ratio.
- Travel- Families are responsible for providing all their own transportation this summer. Plan to arrive the night before as camps will begin with first day on snow. You will need to provide transportation for your athlete to and from the Timberline Ski Area each day. Drop off/pick up is coordinated in the Wy’East Day Lodge parking area.
- Lodging & Food- Families are responsible for providing all their own lodging and food for our 2021 SummerSPAC camps. There are private home rentals, nice nearby campgrounds, and convenient short-term hotel options in the area. A commute from Government Camp will generally take you 15-20 minutes.
- Protocols– We will follow COVID-19 protocols in association with Timberline Ski Area, The State of Oregon and the CDC. We will keep registered families updated on the specifics of these protocols. We require that all campers be able to function independently (i.e., carry their own equipment, load and unload chairlift alone, respect physical distancing guidelines. If you do not think your athlete will be able to function independently or follow COVID-19 mask-wearing protocols, ski racing camp is not a good fit for them at this time.
- Questions/Communication– Kindly reach out to program director Dave Lyon, or one of this summer’s volunteer camp coordinators, Shawna and Jason Cohen, with any questions you might have. We are more than happy to discuss our camp experiences with you! Follow up communication with registered families will include recommended athlete packing list, tentative daily schedule, swag sizing, final pricing and more as SummerSPAC dates approach.
Looking for even MORE consecutive days on snow this summer…
Dave Lyon Race Camp: July 26th to 31st
SPAC Program Director, Dave Lyon, offers athletes U12-adult additional days on snow through his own long running race camps. The Dave Lyon Race Camps draw competitive skiers from around the country and internationally. Perhaps another 6 days on snow in July is just what your athlete needs to kick up their racing skillset. More detail and registration information is available at www.davelyonracecamps.com or email Dave Lyon directly.